Building permit in Greece
Building in Greece – by permit only
Like in Israel, construction work in Greece is allowed only with a construction permit from the authorities. Under the provisions of Chapter 1 of Law 4030/2011, the following construction works may be performed only with a valid construction permit:
• Demolition of a building.
• Excavation, land filling, paving, land configuration for construction purposes.
• Construction and renovation of buildings or facilities.
• Repairing and renovating facades of buildings using scaffolding.
• Making changes related to the calculated strain on a structure or the number of required parking spaces.
• Building extensions.
• Building underground reservoirs.
Illegal construction may become legal and legitimatized once the construction permit is issued or re-examined. This provided that everything is done according to the accepted building practices at the time of construction. If a valid permit is issued or re-examined there will be no fines for illegal construction, as long as the building’s profile, density, and perimeter are kept.